Transmission Line Engineer
Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
Westwood Professional Services, Inc. is seeking a Transmission Line Engineer to join our team. The Transmission Line Engineer will be part of an electric transmission design team and will be responsible for the engineering and design of multiple projects ranging from small “quick turn-around” to large complex power lines. This position provides the opportunity to directly apply your knowledge of engineering to design projects ranging from 34.5kV to 500kV. As a Transmission Line Engineer, you will apply NESC, NEC, ASCE and other applicable standards in the engineering design and will independently perform engineering analyses, plans and specifications, as well as material procurement and construction documents. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
• Demonstrates basic knowledge and understanding of NESC, ASCE and IEEE standards necessary to design transmission lines.
• Demonstrates basic knowledge in the use of PLS-Cadd, including all applicable programs of the suite.
• Performs all aspects of designing high voltage overhead transmission line projects including but not limited to: PLS-Cadd Modeling, Line routing, Structure spotting, Structural analysis and design, Foundation design, Hardware selection, Conductor and shield wire selection, Material specifications, and Technical support during construction.
• Plans and design overhead transmission lines, including right of way requirements, structure spotting, line configurations, hardware requirements, structure alternatives, and foundation options.
• Prepares and review design documents for construction, including plan & profiles, structure load tree drawings, structure framing, bill of materials and foundations design drawings.
• Demonstrates ability to understand and interpret geotechnical reports and extrapolate information needed for foundation design software including L-PILE and MFAD is a plus.
• Designs projects under the mentoring and training of senior licensed professionals.
• Keenly focused on production of high-quality work and supports continuous improvement efforts.
• Understands client interests and develops approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work.
• Enjoys working in a fast-paced environment on multiple projects.
• Demonstrates ability to work with limited supervision and guidance to execute and meet multiple project commitments.
• Understands & meets schedule, and quality requirements.
• Actively coordinates with internal and external team members on transmission line projects.
• Attends client technical review meetings.
• Travel to project sites as necessary to gather data and interface with clients.
• Bachelor’s Degree in Civil/Structural Engineering from an ABET-accredited engineering program.
• 1-3 years of relevant experience as a Transmission Line Engineer in consulting or utility environment.
• Experience with NESC, ASCE and IEEE standards
• Proficiency with AutoCAD, PLS-CADD, MFAD, Vibrec, Vortx, L-Pile
• Proficiency with MS Office Software, include Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and Project.
• Proven ability to communicate effectively with others, including clients, management, and design team, through excellent verbal and written communication skills.
Westwood Professional Services Inc. (Westwood) was established in 1972 and has since become a leader in many of the markets it serves. Westwood is a full-service, multidiscipline professional engineering firm and serves wind, solar, power delivery, residential and commercial development, and public infrastructure clients and their projects from multiple offices across the U.S.
In 2021, Zweig Group ranked Westwood nationally at # 4 and #21 respectively on its Hot Firms and Best Firms to Work for lists. Zweig also awarded Westwood two national 2nd place awards for Marketing Excellence. Westwood also ranked consistently higher four years in a row on the Engineering News Record (ENR) list as a leading design firm in the country. The firm consistently ranks on industry top 25 lists and receives recognition for its involvement on award-wining projects nationwide.
Westwood provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We believe that diverse backgrounds strengthen our business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.
Software Powered by iCIMS