Transmission Engineering Intern (2023 Summer)
Westwood Professional Services, Inc.
Westwood Professional Services, Inc. is seeking a Transmission Engineering Intern to join our team. The Transmission Engineering Intern will be part of an electric powerline design team and will be responsible for applying their relevant coursework and experience to the engineering and design of multiple power projects ranging from small “quick turn-around” to large complex transmission line designs for public & private electric utilities, wind & solar developers as well as government agencies. This position provides the opportunity to directly apply your knowledge of engineering to design energy infrastructure projects. As a Transmission Engineering Intern, you will learn about and apply ACI, IBC, NESC, ASCE and other applicable standards in the engineering design and will perform engineering analyses, plans and specifications, as well as material procurement and construction documents with the assistance of Senior Engineers. Westwood has a highly experienced and dynamic team of individuals dedicated to providing high-level professional services to our clients.
• Work with engineers to obtain training and basic knowledge in the use of PLS-Cadd, MFAD, AutoCAD, and other design software used by Transmission Engineers.
• Prepare and review design documents for construction, including plan & profiles, structure drawings, structure layout drawings, bill of materials and foundations design drawings.
• Learn about client interests and help develop approaches to accommodate these concerns in the performance of the work.
• Actively coordinate with internal and external team members on power projects.
• Travel to project sites as necessary to gather data and interface with clients.
Salary Range: $15.00-$25.00+ per hour depending on applicable experience
• Currently enrolled in ABET-accredited engineering program.
• Willingness to learn in a flexible environment that may involve cross-disciplinary concepts.
• Willingness to attend site visits and work outside on occasions.
• Valid Driver’s License and Reliable transportation
• Ability to communicate effectively with others, including clients, management, and design team, through excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficiency in MS Office, including Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
• 3rd-4th year of a Civil Engineering BA program or enrollment of a MS program
• Relevant Industry experience through coursework or prior internships
• Experience with AutoCAD, PLS-CADD, MFAD, MATLAB, or other relevant software.
Westwood Professional Services Inc. (Westwood) was established in 1972 and has since become a leader in many of the markets it serves. Westwood is a full-service, multidiscipline professional engineering firm and serves wind, solar, power delivery, residential and commercial development, and public infrastructure clients and their projects from multiple offices across the U.S.
In 2021, Zweig Group ranked Westwood nationally at # 4 and #21 respectively on its Hot Firms and Best Firms to Work for lists. Zweig also awarded Westwood two national 2nd place awards for Marketing Excellence. Westwood also ranked consistently higher four years in a row on the Engineering News Record (ENR) list as a leading design firm in the country. The firm consistently ranks on industry top 25 lists and receives recognition for its involvement on award-wining projects nationwide.
Westwood provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state, or local laws. We believe that diverse backgrounds strengthen our business. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, and training.